Trusts & Estates
Houston Trust Company works closely with prospective clients to fully understand their needs, determining how we can bring the best value to the relationship.
Working with a corporate trustee or executor will help to ultimately preserve and protect a family or individual’s assets. Houston Trust Company offers the administrative infrastructure to execute fiduciary duties fully and to the highest standards of accountability, with the added security of regulatory oversight and strong capital backing.
A fiduciary must navigate the requirements and rigors of trust and/or estate administration, while managing the expectations and needs of the beneficiaries. Houston Trust Company can provide the desired objectivity, continuity, and professionalism, to ease the burden of all interested parties.
We administer trusts in accordance with the governing instrument, invest trust and estate assets, and guide wealth transfers to future generations.
Assets under management
Average Estate Size
Trust & Estate Administration Services
- Trustee, Co-Trustee, or Agent for Trustee
- Executor, Co-Executor, or Agent for Executor
- Independent Administrator
+Custody of Assets
- Assets custodied through SEI Investments; SEI Trust Company
- Ability to manage broad spectrum of assets:
- Equity portfolios (active and/or passive, municipal and taxable bonds)
- Oil & gas holdings
- Private equity
- Real estate
- Private collections (art, jewelry, wine, cars, etc.)
- Review instrument to identify grantor intent, all beneficiaries, distributions, as well as trustee powers, duties, and liabilities
- Perform traditional principal and income accounting
- Produce and/or coordinate tax documents (1099s, 5498s, K-1s)
- Provide statements to appropriate parties
- Establish/maintain trust records filing system for legal documents, tax, investments, distributions, correspondence, insurance etc.
- Retain appropriate agents, including CPAs, attorneys, investment manager etc.
- Identify and secure estate property (residence and assets)
- Collect and inventory estate assets, wherever located
- Coordinate appraisal reports
- Pay just debts of the estate, prosecute claims of the estate, and defend estate against claims brought against it
- Work with CPA to determine separate versus community property
- Coordinate filing of income and estate tax returns and payment of tax liability
- Distribute estate assets and fund resulting trusts
- Meet with beneficiaries to understand their circumstances, needs, and objectives
- Respond to distribution requests
- Provide regular performance reports and statements
- Work within a beneficiary’s existing team (CPA, attorney, family office, etc.)