When it comes time for an estate to be settled, it can be difficult to focus on financial and administrative matters. We reliably and diplomatically handle the business affairs so our clients can focus on their families. Houston Trust Company serves as executor, co-executor or agent for individual executors in settling a decedent’s estate. In each capacity, we work with the executor, co-executors, family members and others to carry out the terms of the will, and we:
- Gather and maintain custody of estate assets.
- Value the estate assets.
- File insurance claims and collect insurance proceeds.
- File the estate’s inventory of assets with the probate court.
- Assist in the preparation of federal tax returns and payment of taxes, including: estate tax return, income tax return for the estate and final income tax return for the decedent.
- Work through any issues that may arise with the IRS.
- Arrange for sale of illiquid assets as necessary.
- Distribute the assets in accordance with the terms of the will.
- Provide periodic and final estate accountings.